Re: [eclipse-users] bug in lib(hash), compile_term/1 and/or handling of arguments

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 01:40:14 +0100
Hi Stephan,

Stephan Schiffel wrote:
> Hello ECLiPSe users,
>
> I ran into a problem with a project of mine and managed to reduce it to a
> fairly small program (see below). It just puts two values in a hash table,
> makes facts from the hash table and compiles the facts.
> If the facts are then called with instantiated first argument (e.g., f([a],_))
> they fail, but f(A,_),A=[a] succeeds.
>
> Can anyone confirm this as a bug or am I doing something stupid here?

Yes, this appears to be a bug with compile_term/1. If you look at the
compiled code for f/2 generated by compile_term/1, it fails if the first
argument is a list -- this is wrong.

I am not sure what exectly is causing the problem, so I can't really
suggest how you can work around this, except for the suggestions you
found yourself.

There are some problems with the existing compiler, which in general we
are unable to fix directly. For this reason, we are replacing this
compiler with one written in ECLiPSe itself (and not C like the existing
compiler), which should be much easier to maintain (and to extend). We
plan to replace the compiler in the next release of ECLiPSe. Your
program compiles and work correctly with this new compiler.