Re: [eclipse-users] Finding which constraints failed

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 21:48:16 +0100
Vivek Balaraman wrote:
> I have about 30 constraints in my system and about 40-50 parameters.
>
> I'd like to identify which constraint failed for a certain set of
> parameters both for debugging purposes and to inform the user
>
> What are the better ways of doing this?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Vivek

Since nobody else have replied to you, I will give it a try...

In most applications, posting the constraints will not normally be
sufficient to cause a failure, or to give you a solution to your
problem. You need to do some search (i.e. labelling the variables) to
get a solution (or failure). In this case, it is very hard to tell which
contraint `failed' if you get a failure, because this will be the result
of propagation, where generally a lot of propagators are woken and do
their propagation until eventually the domain of a variable is reduced
to empty.

If you are trying to catch only the failures while you are posting the
constraints, then what you do is fine.
However, the failure here simply means that the constraint posted is
inconsistent with the constraints you already have, it does not mean it
is `wrong', even assuming you know that your problem should have a
solution -- it could be some of your already posted constraints that are
`wrong'.