Re: [eclipse-users] Finding which constraints failed

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 17:55:45 +0100
Vivek Balaraman wrote:
> Kish,
>
> I am not trying to identify 'wrong' constraints but to know at runtime
> which variable values have narrowed to null and at what point so that
> users can refine values to get successful solutions. So apart from
> watching constraints, I am also trying to watch variable domains.
Backtracking means that if labelling a variable to a value fails, it
would backtrack and try and label differently. If you use labeling, this
all happens automatically, but you can write your own code to both
select the variable to label and the value (out of its domain) to label
the variable to.

For even quite small constraint programs, it is impractical for the user
to monitor this closely, and the labeling happens many many times.

You can use the visualisation tools to give you some feel of what is
happening. Basically you can display the variables and their domains in
different (including graphical) ways, and you can position the variables
in different ways. This display will change as you execute your code.
This gives an overview of what is happening, and may give you some idea
on how to improve it.. See the Visulisation Tools manual to see how to
use this. You can also use the display matrix, which is an older tool,
and is much less flexible (variables arranges in a matrix only, and only
textual representation of variables and their attributes), but which
slows the running of your program down less.

If you are debugging your code, and you need to keep track of the
attribute (e.g. the domain) of variables in a term (e..g. just the
variable itself, or a constraint with several variables), you can use
the `observe term' feature of the tkeclipse tracer, which uses the
display matrix to pop up a window showing the term you selected, and any
changes in the variables of the term can then be tracked. (you can
observe the whole goal at a tracer port by right-clicking on the goal in
the call stack and selecting `observe this goal'; you can select a term
in the goal to observe by using the inspector to navigate to the term
and then selecting it for observation.

> I (perhaps mistakenly) tried using the 3 argument domain constraint
> form $::/3 where I check the third Boolean flag to see when it becomes
> 0. For example, $::(A,20..30,Bool) but this gives the domain of A not
> as 20..30 but as -inf..inf and thus labeling tries to find values in
> this expanded domain leading to an explosion of solutions.

If you post a reified constraint with Bool uninstantiated, it behaves
passively and  will only check if any changes are compatible with the
reified constraint. In your case, if the interval of A is changed (say
by some other constraint), your reified constraint will wake up to check
if that is compatible with 20..30 -- if the new interval is a subrange
of 20..30, Bool is set to 1; if the new interval does not overlap with
20..30, Bool is set to 0. Otherwise it remains uninstantiated.
> Simply put,
>
> How can I find out when the variable value becomes empty?
>
> I see that suspend provides me with some primitives such as
> Vars->inst, bound, etc. Is this the way to go?

I hope what I said previously answer your questions here -- you don't
need to find out the interval have become empty, The system
automatically backtracks to allow you to label the variables differently
(and the incompatible values would be removed).

I note that you use $:: in your example -- you should use this if you
really want real intervals only. If you want finite integer domains
(which allows holes in the domain, real intervals don't), you should use
the variants of constraints that starts with '#'. You get a lot more
propagation (and fewer values to label)..