Re: [eclipse-users] Fwd: invoking module function from C API

From: Warwick Harvey <wh_at_...2...>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 20:14:57 +0100
Hi Carlos,

On Tue, Sep 18, 2007 at 08:08:22PM +0200, Carlos Gonzalez-Cadenas wrote:
> Hi Kish,
>
> Thank you very much for your help.
>
> I've replaced the "," by a "." and now ECLIPSE doesn't complain "method not
> found", but I still get a core dump. Any hints about that? (I suppose that
> the offender is the EC_ref, because if I call a method like writeln with no
> refs, it works correctly).
>
> My goal is not to perform much work in the C++ part, but also to call
> "end-user" functions (the functions I need from the client point of view). I
> want to  have as much code as possible in the ECLIPSE. But I need at a
> minimum to be able to call functions and pass parameters back and forth,
> right?

Yes, you have to call functions and pass parameters back and forth.  Perhaps
what hasn't been conveyed clearly is that it's the data you're passing back
and forth that should be kept as simple as possible.  In particular, try to
avoid passing variables.  ECLiPSe's (Prolog's) logical variables have no
counterpart in most imperative languages, and they are inherently
complicated objects, so it's best to avoid trying to access or manipulate
them outside of ECLiPSe.  In your particular example, what is the
information you want to obtain from the variable Interval?  Is it its
bounds?  If so, extract the bounds in ECLiPSe and pass these back, because
they will be simple floating point values that map easily to C/C++/whatever,
and thus won't need complicated error-prone decoding.

Cheers,
Warwick
--
!umop apisdn papuadsns w,I - aW dlaH aseald