Re: [eclipse-users] Retract

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 21:04:44 +0100
Hi Wojciech ,

Wojciech Pieprzyca wrote:
> I have a knowledge base with some facts loaded from a file e.g.
> goods_possesed(oranges,0).
> goods_possesed(apples,0).
> goods_possesed(kiwi,0).
> and then I intend to change some values dynamically e.g.
> goods_possesed(oranges,5).
> goods_possesed(apples,7).
> goods_possesed(kiwi,3).
> In classic Prolog it's possible to use retract predicate and then assert
> changed facts.

You can do this in ECLiPSe as well. But note that this does not update
the predicates in your file -- this is the case in ECLiPSe as well as
other Prologs.
> I suppose that in ECLiPSe there are some better ways to gain the same
> result,
> as you have written. Which non-logical storage is the best for this
> purpose ?

You could use non-logical variables, which you can declare with a
directive like:

:- local variable(oranges, 0).

and you can use getval/2 and setval/2 to read and change the value.

but if you want the new values to presist, i.e. when you next start an
ECLiPSe session, you want the new values, then you should write the data
into a file, and read that in when you run your program. You could also
use a database to store your values (e.g. using  lib(dbi)).