Re: [eclipse-users] node(daVinci) and uDraw(Graph)

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 20:25:25 +0000
Hi,

Tias Guns wrote:

> This is a really powerfull visualisation tool, I like it a lot.
> I'm not sure what the double borders and cursive values try to tell,
> they don't seem to add information ?
> What would be really cool is if the graph would be updated
> incrementally (flush a new node and its edges immediately to uDraw
> when it is created). That way, it could be used together with the
> 'Visualisation Client'. You could watch the variables get assigned and
> propagated in the Visualisation Client, and at the same time you could
> see the search tree being traversed in uDraw !

Thanks for your modifications!

What do you use the search-tree visualisation for? For example, do you
use it for debugging, and/or are you using it to better understand the
execution of your program?

We have been interested in visualising the search process, and I would
like to know how people want to use it Currently we don't have
sufficient resource to develop this, but one reason for open sourcing
ECLiPSe is to allow the user community to contribute, and we would
certainy welcome any contribution in this area!

While at IC-Parc, a visiting student developed a 3-D visualisation of
the search-tree, which was able to display the search-tree
incrementally. I am not sure if this code was ever distributed, and we
took it out from the source when ECLiPSe was open-sourced, because we
were not sure of the licensing and porting issues (for example the code
uses OpenGL). I took a quick look at the code again today, and it seems
that we should be able to open source the source code itself.

I think one important issue with visualisation of the search process is
how this will work with large programs, which will have very large
search space that will be impossible to display all at once. I was not
directly involved with the 3-D search-tree visualisation, but I think
one reason that 3-D was used is that it allowed more flexibility for the
display (e.g. you need to worry less about overlapping nodes when you
display them), and it allowed zooming in and out from parts of the
search-tree.

For incremental display of the search-tree with lib(daVinci) and
search/6, you can always modify the search/6 predicate to do this -- the
code for this is in <ECLiPSe>/icparc_solvers/generic_search.ecl.