Re: [eclipse-users] Speed Up Constraint Imposing Time in ECLiPSe

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 20:03:36 +0000
Hi David,

If the time to impose constraints is not growing linearly with the
number of constraints, it seems likely that as each constraint is
imposed, you are spending more and more time in propagation due to the
added constraint. Normally, this sort of propagation should help narrow
the domains of your variables, but it may be that in your case, this is
not helping much, but is imposing a high computational cost. You can
avoid any propagation as you impose your constraints by imposing the
constraints at a higher priority than the priority of the propagation.
You can call the loop in which you impose your constraints inside a
call_priority/2:

        call_priority(impose_constraints(Cs), <N>)

where <N> is a sufficiently high priority -- 2 should be high enough.

The priority system is not very nice, because it is global, and in the
case above, you need to know the priority you are using is higher than
those use by ic internally. We have not really found a good way to solve
all the issues surrounding this.

Doing this, the propagation will only happen once you have imposed all
your constraints. This is now likely to become more expensive than
before, but it may be cheaper than the sum of all the smaller
propagations you have done previously -- it all depends on your problem.

If your problem is indeed due to this propagation as you impose your
constraints, you may want to look at exactly what is being propagated,
and if you can reorder your constraints to minimise this -- this would
be a cleaner solution than using call_priority/2, but of course your
constraint propagation may be too complex for you to fully understand it.

We had a paper in which we studied the behaviour of ordering the posting
of constraints (in the context of benchmarking and its problems) for a
very simple set of constraints:

On Benchmarking Constraint Logic Programming Platforms. Response to
Fernandez and Hill's "A Comparative Study of Eight Constraint
Programming Languages over the Boolean and Finite Domains"
    by Mark Wallace, Joachim Schimpf, Kish Shen and Warwick Harvey. In
CONSTRAINTS Journal, ed. E.C. Freuder,9(1), pp 5-34, Kluwer, 2004.

This paper is listed in http://www.eclipse-clp.org/reports/index.html,
but there is no link to a downloadable version of the paper. I don't
know if this is because of copyright issues, but if you are interested
in the paper, and cannot get hold of the Constraints journal,  contact
me again.