[eclipse-clp-users] Performance-related issues in heuristic optimization with ECLiPSe

From: Soheil Samii <sohsa_at_...107...>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 17:43:43 +0200
Hi!

I have some general questions related to optimization with ECLiPSe (or CLP in
general). The problem that I try to solve with ECLiPSe is a task scheduling
problem for multiprocessor system with a cost function that is a sum of a
linear function in the optimization variables and the square-root of a
quadratic function.

The CLP code is basically organized as follows:
* Declaring the domains of the variables (integer intervals).
* Linear constraints (precedence constraints, etc.).
* Resource constraints (using cumulative/4, which have three different
versions in the libraries ic_cumulative, ic_edge_finder, and
ic_edge_finder3).
* Declaring the cost function 'Cost'.
* Minimization using bb_min/3 in the library branch_and_bound, i.e.,
bb_min(labeling(StartTimes), Cost, Options).

For a reasonably average-size problem (40 variables) it takes incredibly long
time to solve (after many hours it still hasn't found the optimum). I guess
that it is because I use complete search and because I use the labeling/1
predicate for the variable and value ordering. Is this true?

In my case, I want to use ECLiPSe as a heuristic to find a suboptimal
schedule, because the ECLiPSe solver will be used inside another optimization
loop. Therefore, I want the CLP solving process to be fast, and I have been
reading and thinking about different ways to use ECLiPSe as a heuristic.
These are the things that I have thought of:

1. The variable ordering is important.
2. The value ordering is important (as we use _incomplete_ search).
These two issues can be solved by using search/6 instead of labeling/1 above.
There you can choose different orderings and different types of incomplete
search.

3. The order of the constraints is important.

4. bb_min/3 has options that, for example, lets the branch-and-bound cut away
some solutions from the search tree. For example, there is an
option 'factor': if 'factor'=0.9 it means that when the search engine tries
to find a better solution than the current one, it tries to find a 10% better
solution; thus, the obtained solution is guaranteed to be at most 10% from
the optimum.

What are your experiences with heuristic optimization in ECLiPSe? Which of the
abovementioned points affect the runtime the most, and is any of them not
important for the runtime? Are there any other issues that I have forgot to
look at to obtain an efficient heuristic with ECLiPSe?

Regarding the cumulative/4 constraint: Is it better to use the version in
ic_cumulative or is it better to use the one in ic_edge_finder3? Which one is
best from the point of view of runtime?

Is it in general good for the performance to add constraints?

How much does the cost function affect the performance? I'm a little bit
worried that my cost function (which I described in the beginning of this
email) makes the runtime to grow, but I don't know how to check that.

Has anyone used ECLiPSe for heuristic optimization to obtain results within
fractions of a second, or is it totally unrealistic to achieve this?

Thankful for comments,

Regards,
/Soheil