Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Question regarding hardware architecture for ECLiPSe

From: Joachim Schimpf (Independent Contractor) <"Joachim>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:10:28 +0100
Wit Jakuczun wrote:
> Dear All,
>
>    I have a question whether the following architecture
> is supported by ECLiPSe:
>
> - Hardvare: 4 x 2-Core UltraSPARC T1, 1.2 GHz
> - OS: Solaris 10
> - Domain is working on 3 or 4 mainboards f25, each have 4 processors
> DualCore and 16GB RAM.
>
> By supporting I under stand:
> - existing binaries (there are binaries for Solaris 5)

Don't get confused by Sun's numbering scheme:
Solaris X = SunOS 5.X (at least for X >= 7)

The existing sparc_sunos5 binaries are 32-bit Sparc binaries
and have been compiled on SunOS 5.8, though 5.9 is also known
to work.

There is a good chance (having some confidence in Sun) that they
will work (in 32-bit mode) on your 64-bit SunOS 5.10 machine.

> - chances to compile ECLiPSe on the provided architecture

Chances are not bad, given that ECLiPSe has also been built
successfully on Solaris 10 for Intel 64-bit processors.

However, you have to allow a certain amount of time for
getting the necessary build tools set up properly on your
machine (e.g. gcc and other gnu tools).  Also, the more
ECLiPSe "third party" components (e.g. COIN solver) you
want or need, the more opportunity for problems arise.

To get an idea, have a look at the Build Guide
http://www.eclipse-clp.org/reports/SetupGuideV2.pdf
It has a Solaris 10 specific section towards the end.

Hope that helps,
Joachim