Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Release of ECLiPSe 6.0

From: Wit Jakuczun <wit.jakuczun_at_...6...>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 08:29:20 +0200
W dniu 2 października 2008 19:56 użytkownik Kish Shen
<kisshen@...5...> napisał:
> Wit Jakuczun wrote:
>>
>> On 1 Paź, 19:47, neng.z...@...6... wrote:
>>
>>> but the CLP(FD) system is slightly slower.
>>>
>> Not sligthly but significantly! It stops me
>> from using a new version of ECLiPSe in
>> production system.
>>
>> There are however few nice features. The one
>> I most like is source-based debugger.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>   Wit Jakuczun
>
> Hi Wit,
>
> Can you give me some details? I am surprised that there is significant
> performance differences between 5.11 and 6.0 -- in almost all the tests we
> have ran 6.0 was slightly faster. The thing that is slower is the
> compilation time itself -- do you do a lot of compiling?

Compiling is not important. It is done once during initialisation
phase of our module.
We have developed a solver (using CLP) for tariff optimisation task
(for a telecommunication company). The solver is based mainly on
element
constraint but there are also our global constraints specific to the problem
and a lot of binary and real-value variables. The code has approx 2,5K lines
of code divided into a few modules.

Exemplary timings:
Version:  5.10    6.0
              0.87s  1.58s
              0.13s  0.22s
              0.13s  0.22s

The times are averaged and the difference is statistically significant.
In both cases I used the same data and have not changed any
compilation flags.
I used 5.10#127 and 6.0#42 versions of ECLiPSe.

If you need any more details, please ask.

Best regards
--
[ Wit Jakuczun  w.jakuczun_at_...116... ]
[ WLOG Solutions http://wlogsolutions.com   ]