Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Assignment propagation queue

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 20:17:21 +0000
Lars Kotthoff wrote:
> Dear all,
>
>  I was wondering whether Eclipse (specifically search/6 from the ic library)
> does any dynamic reordering of the propagation queue. Does it process events in
> the order they're fired or does it use a heuristic like most constrained
> variable first?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lars

Hi Lars,

The short answer is no, there is no dynamic reordering of the execution
of the propagation.

Note that ECLiPSe does not implement propagators or propagation queues
directly. Instead propagation is done by normal ECLiPSe code, with
suspensions and attributed variables. In many cases, you can view the
`firing of events' as the waking of suspensions, which are then executed
  in the order of the execution priority, which is set when the goal is
suspended -- so you do have some control over the order the suspensions
are executed, but this is not done dynamically at run-time.

I am not that familiar with this area, but the only heuristics I am
aware of for ordering propagator execution is based on the constraints
the propagators are involved in, e.g. executing propagators for simple
constraints first. This can be done using priorities without some
runtime dynamic reordering, because you know which constraint a
particular propagator is for.

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.