Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Java error messages

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 20:51:44 +0000
Hi Gregory,

It is generally a good idea to return results via queues, because it is
very flexible, but I don't quite understand why you can't return results
via variables in the RPC goal -- instantiating `output' variables in
your RPC goal is probably the easiest way you can return simple results.
These variables are anonymous variables when you call the RPC, because
they should be uninstantiated, and are simply `placeholders', hence the
null value. The RPC returns a new CompoundTerm   representing the RPC
goal after the execution, i.e. the anonymous variable(s) when you called
the goal should now be substituted by the results you want to return.

Gregory Harman wrote:
> Thanks, Joachim. I've been using EmbeddedEclipse, but with queues since
> I need to get a result out that can't come as a goal variable due to the
> Java interface's substitution of nulls for anonymous variables. I
> suppose I could grab stderr for this purpose - I was just expecting a
> thrown exception (Throw) to come with a message - on the Java side,
> that's really the right place for it.

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.