Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Problem Compiling from Source

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 14:17:14 +0100
George K wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm trying (sorry newbie) to compile Eclipse_6.0_80 from source and am
> getting the following error...
>
> ---
> ./sepia -D .. -e "compile(\"../lib/rationals.pl\",\
> 		[debug:off,srcroot:\"../..\",outdir:\"../../lib\",output:eco])"
> type error in /(1076489008, 3, _93551)
> abort
> make[1]: *** [../../lib/rationals.eco] Error 2
> make[1]: *** Deleting file `../../lib/rationals.eco'
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/home/george/Documents/src/Eclipse_6.0_80/Kernel/i386_linux'
> make: *** [make_kernel] Error 2
> ---
>
> I'm using ARCH=i386_linux on Ubuntu 8.04.  Config ends successfully.
> Same problem with all versions (inc Dev) of 6. Version 5 has (other)
> problems compiling as well. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> George.

Hi George,

I think the problem is that you are compiling without GMP support -- GMP
is the GNU Mulitple Precisiion arithmetic library, a thirdparty package
we use to support bugnums (integers larger than the machine's word
length) and rationals (which uses bignums).

configure is supposed to detect if you want to build ECLiPSe with GMP or
not, and it should be able to build ECLiPSe without GMP, which means
that bugnums and rationals will not be supported. The problem is that
compiling rational.pl essentially assumes support for rational, and the
type error you are seeing is because the division is trying to generate
a rational, which is not supported.

I am not sure how this error has slip through, and I will patch ECLiPSe
to fix it. To work around the problem, you can either build ECLiPSe with
GMP support, or you can change the build process to avoid compiling
rationals.pl -- to do this, you need to edit Makefile.in in Kernel/src,
find rationals.pl, which is in a list for PL_ECO_LIBRARIES (this defines
.pl files that will be compiled into eco files). Remove rationals.pl
from this list, and rebuild ECLiPSe by running configure and make again.

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.