[eclipse-clp-users] how to generate *well-spaced* but accurate solutions using 'locate'

From: Solly Brown <sollyb_at_...25...>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 18:43:07 +1000
Hi all,

I have a question about the best way to use the 'locate' predicate in a
real-valued domain where there are infinitely many solutions.

In my domain I want to find a limited number of solutions (say 10-20)
which are well-spaced apart -- basically a 'representative sample' of
the infinite number of solutions possible.

As a simple example, say I want to find positions (x,y) which lie on the
circle x^2+y^2=5. Ideally, I want to be able to find a (semi-random)
selection of solutions (say, 10 of them) spaced roughly evenly around
the circle.

Using locate and backtracking doesn't work too well, because if I
specify a high precision then it has a huge number of solutions to wade
through. But if I lower the precision (in order to get fewer solutions)
then the resulting solutions are too coarse (the range of values is too
'approximate', and I need exact values).

So... any hints on the best way to tackle this problem? Should I attack
this in a hierarchical fashion: find 10 solutions with a low precision
value, and then run 'locate' again within these intervals at a higher
precision value? Or is there a smarter way of doing it, or perhaps some
builtin I have missed? I'm not terribly familiar with ECLiPSe so any
advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Solly