[eclipse-clp-users] New file releases for ECLiPSe 6.0 #82 on Sourceforge

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 16:41:27 +0100
I don't normally post to the mailing list about new file releases, but
because of some important changes (especially for Mac OS X), I thought
this might be of general interest...

Hi,

I have placed a new file release fo ECLiPSe 6.0#82 at ECLiPSe's source
forge site last week:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=177708

This release has three binary builds for platforms that are not part of
the regular build of ECLiPSe that can be found at the eclipse-clp.org site:

1) Intel Mac OS X
2) Power PC Mac OS X
3) Solaris for x86 processors

This is the first time a binary release have been made for x86 Solaris.

For the Mac OS X release, the most recent Tcl/Tk (8.5.7), which is
included in the tcltk file releases, fixes a bug with previous Mac Tcl
8.5 that prevented it (in particular tkeclipse) from working with
ECLiPSe, which several users have reported to us. [You can also work
around this problem by using Tcl/Tk 8.4].

The Intel Mac file release is built on Mac OS 10.5, with weak-linking
for 10.4. This should mean that it should run on Mac OS 10.4, although
we are unable to test this, as we don't have access to an Intel Mac
running 10.4. The PPC Mac file release was built on 10.4, without
weak-linking. Please let me know if the weak-linking does not work, or
if anyone requires weak-linking for Mac OS older than 10.4.

The one important upgrade to the previous (#42) file release is the
upgrade to the COIN-OR CLP/CBC solvers for eplex. The solvers themselves
have been updated to a recent (April 2009) version, and the internal
interfacing to CBC was changed. This should improve the stability and
performance of the CBC (MIP) solver. This change is purely an low-level
and internal change, and there is no change to the user code to use eplex.

In addition to the usual bug fixes, there have also been improvements to
the compiler, so that some of the performance issues reported by users
since the initial release have been addressed.

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.