Re: [eclipse-clp-users] I can't compile eclipse prolog under Linux 64 bit :(

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 21:49:50 +0100
Martin Wegner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can't compile eclipse prolog under Linux 64 bit :(
>

> Then I got this error:
>
> /bin/cp libeclipse.so ../../lib/x86_64_linux/libeclipse.so
> gcc -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer  -fPIC  -DD_LOAD -DTHREADED -I. -I../src
> -I../../sys_include -I-  -DOC -DDFID -c ../src/tkeclipse.c
> cc1: note: obsolete option -I- used, please use -iquote instead
> ../src/tkeclipse.c:37:17: error: tcl.h: No such file or directory
> In file included from ../src/tkeclipse.c:40:
>
> So I tried:
>
> ./configure --without-tcl
>
> But nothing changed :(
>
> Please help me, thank you so much!
>
> Greetings, Martin

Hi Martin,

This is not an issue with 64 bit Linux as such, but with a problem with
the build process itself: the build without Tcl/Tk does not work on the
patch branch, which you are using. I have fixed the problem on the main
branch, but have not yet copied the fix to the patch branch. I will try
and do this as soon as possible.

The best way round this problem is to build ECLiPSe with Tcl/Tk, and
also with the other third-party software that ECLiPSe uses. It is best
to build ECLiPSe with Tcl/Tk and also GMP -- these give important
functionalitis to ECLiPSe, and is what the binary distributions are
built with, and is the configuration that is most extensively tested.

ECLiPSe is normally built with these third-party software in a
ECLiPSETHIRDPARTY directory -- see the ECLiPSe setup guide

http://www.eclipse-clp.org/reports/SetupGuide.pdf

for details on how you can build ECLiPSe with third-party packages.

If you really want to build ECLiPSe without Tcl/Tk now, the easiest work
around is to modify Makefile.in in <ECLiPSe>/Kernel/src:

find the line

LIB_OBJECTS = ...

(this is line 629 in my copy of Makefile.in)

and delete the two lines with

           tkeclipse.$(OBJECTS_SUFFIX) \
           tkexdr.$(OBJECTS_SUFFIX) \

and then configure and build ECLiPSe again.

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.