[eclipse-clp-users] need help on general problem solving approach

From: Oliver Scheickl <scheickl_at_...1...>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2009 13:31:34 +0200
Hi all,

Thanks to your help I can now start and interact with ECLiPSe from within
Eclipse. As I am new to ECLiPSe and not really advanced in CLP in gerneral I
want to ask you to comment on my general problem solving approach.
I need to solve a kind of special scheduling problem. Actually, it is about
distribution of time budgets across a system under certain conditions and
rules to be met. I have a system model and some time budget information
coming from Eclipse. In my understanding all this information is my
knowledge base or my facts for problem solving. The rules that have to be
considered during problem solving can directly be programmed in Prolog.

I am asking myself now, how do I feed the facts to ECLiPSe, which are
dynamically coming from Eclipse? My plan is to generate a Prolog file,
representing all the facts, at runtime. I then call the .compile() method
ans ask ECLiPSe to compile both the facts and the rules file. Then i call
rpc() and ask ECLiPSe to find a solution by executing a predefined goal.

Does this make sense? I could not yet find a similar example where I can
learn from. The Embedding and Interfacing Manual provides examples using
queues. But I dont think it makes sense to queue dozens of facts to ECLiPSe.
Also it cannot really make sense to generate a huge String that is handed
over using ECLiPSe`s .rpc() method.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,
     Oliver.