Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Problem using probe_sched

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 12:05:36 +0100
Riyadh Jemal wrote:

> My problem was similar to that faced by Simone Pascucci on the mailing
> list and it led me to suggest that some information including examples
> on the use of dynamic clauses be included in the tutorial.

Hi Riyadh,

The tutorial and examples do not include examples using dynamic
predicates (i.e. clauses you can assert/retract) because there aren't
many uses for them that are not better done with other features in
ECLiPSe/Prolog. Support for dynamic predicates in ECLiPSe is mainly
meant for backwards compatibility with Prolog (and also for the few
cases where it is a good idea).

As you mentioned in your email to me, you assert the data you want to
use as facts, and then use them. If the data is available before you run
the program, then it is much better to generate a program with the facts
in them, and compile this.

I assume you are using facts for your data because the examples I
suggested you look at uses facts to store the data. This was mainly done
this way because it is convenient to show everything in one file in the
examples. A better approach if you want your code to work with different
data set is to read in the data directly (using the I/O facilities of
ECLiPSe), and create your data constraints from them, rather than having
them as facts, and creating the constraints from the facts. Having the
facts means you are duplicating the information, and makes it difficult
if you want to run the program again with a different set of data.

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.