Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Guess Free Solution

From: Helmut Simonis <H.Simonis_at_...70...>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 18:02:14 -0000
Alex,

this is just what propagation does. If you state all constraints, before starting a search , you can check the domains of the variables to see which values have been removed by propagation.

Sometimes, your constraint model is not strong enough to find all inconsistent values, in which case you can make stronger propagation by using a different model or by implementing better reasoning inside some constraint.

You may want to look at my paper on Sudoku or the one on Kakuro  (http://4c.ucc.ie/~hsimonis) to see how you can strengthen a model to deduce more and more information without search. Unfortunately, this works very well on puzzles, but not so well on other problem types.

Helmut