Re: [eclipse-clp-users] timeout in bb_min/3

From: Marco Gavanelli <marco.gavanelli_at_...17...>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 15:40:54 +0100
Amine Marref wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using Eclipse version 6.0#115 under Ubuntu 9.
>
> I attach the predicate solve/1 which calls bb_min/3 at line 189. After about 1500 seconds, eclipse returns that the problem has no solution.
>
> However, the timeout option in bb_min/3 in the attached file, should stop search after 10 seconds. It is not timing out.
>
> What could be the reason?

Dear Amine,

I think that the reason is that you open a large number of choice points
with the ';' operator, and then you invoke bb_min. bb_min may fail, so
it will backtrack to the last choice point, and eventually re-execute
bb_min. So, for each execution of bb_min you have a 10s timeout, but
bb_min itself is called many times.

Anyway, it seems that you use ';' to impose a disjunction of
constraints, so I suggest to substitute each ';' with 'or', see the manual

http://87.230.22.228/doc/libman/libman018.html#toc20

Cheers,
Marco

--
Marco Gavanelli, Ph.D. in Computer Science
Dept of Engineering