Re: [eclipse-clp-users] negate constraints

From: Thorsten Winterer <thorsten_winterer_at_...126...>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 14:47:32 +0200
Hello,

you can use reified constraints to express "if any variable has a value
greater than eight, there must be at least one variable with a value
smaller than eight.":

:- lib(ic).
:- lib(ic_global).

test(L) :-
    L = [X,Y,Z],
    L #:: 1..10,
    ( foreach(V,L),foreach(BG,BGs), foreach(BS,BSs) do
        #>(V,8,BG),
        #<(V,8,BS)
    ),
    sumlist(BGs,EG),
    sumlist(BSs,ES),
    (EG #>= 1) => (ES #>= 1),
    X #= 9,
    Y #= 9,
    get_max(Z,Z).

For each variable V, BG is set to 1 if V > 8, else 0. BS is set to 1 if
V < 8, else 0.
If the sum of the BG values is at least 1, then the sum of the BS values
must also be at least 1.

Now, if X and Y are instantiated to 9, the maximum value in Z's domain is 7.

Cheers,
Thorsten