Re: [eclipse-clp-users] ECLiPSe on AIX

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 18:31:06 +0100
Wit Jakuczun wrote:
> Dear All,
>    my client would like to migrate their system from Sparc to AIX. One
> of the components of the system is ECLiPSe (5.10).
> Does anybody has any experience with running ECLiPSe on AIX platform?
> What should I expect?
>
> Best regards

Hi Wit,

I don't think ECLiPSe has ever been built on an AIX platform, so you
will need to try to compile ECLiPSe from source for this platform, and
at the very least, you would need to modify the configure.ac file to add
the platform, and you will need the GNU tool chain (gcc, autoconf, make
etc.) working on the platform (non-GNU versions of these tools would
probably require some additional hacking). You therefore probably need
to be quite familiar with these tools if you want to port ECLiPSe to the
platform, as you are likely to run into problems during the build that
requires further modification of the source.

ECLiPSe should be reasonably portable across Un*x platforms, and I think
AIX is a Un*x variant. There are some hints in the SetupGuide (in
documents/internal/SetupGuide.doc -- yes, it is in MS Word format) on
porting ECLiPSe, but you should only attempt porting if you are
reasonably familiar with compiling and using the GNU tool chain on
different Un*x platforms.

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.