Re: [eclipse-clp-users] LP solvers via eplex

From: Matthew Skala <mskala_at_...203...>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 06:31:29 -0400 (EDT)
On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, Joachim Schimpf wrote:
> > problem is large. My question is does ECLiPSe limit in any way the
> > memory usage of the external solvers ? I would not like ECLiPSe to do
> > that.
>
> No, Eclipse doesn't limit solver memory other than by sharing the
> same process and address space.

That's not a trivial issue.  If you're doing the modelling in ECLiPSe and
that requires a lot of memory, then there may not be much left for the
external solver.  I ran into that with ILOG CPLEX.  A partial solution is
to write an ECLiPSe program that will just call the external solver and do
very little else, then run that as a separate process and have them
communicate.  That's less convenient, but on a 32-bit machine it means you
can have a basically separate 4G address space for the external solver.
--
Matthew Skala, postdoctoral researcher, Universities of Toronto and Waterloo
mskala_at_...203...    mskala@...205...    mskala@...206...