Re: [eclipse-clp-users] 7.11 puzzle

From: Hakan Kjellerstrand <hakank_at_...314...>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 06:56:53 +0200
Hi,

another improvement is adding explicit symmetry breaking:

    A #< B,
    B #< C,
    C #< D,

as well as using another labeling

    search(Prices ,0,largest,indomain_split,complete,[]),

This solves the problem in 0.22 seconds instead of the original
about 45 seconds on my machine.

In larger problems I would probably also have used the
explicit domain declaration

   Prices :: [1..711]

though in this case it doesn't improve times or the number of
backtracks.

Here's the full model:

%%%%%%%%
   :- lib(ic).

   solve :-
       Sum = 711,
       Product = 711,
       Prices = [A, B, C, D],
       % A #> 0, B #> 0, C #> 0, D #> 0,
       Prices :: [1..711],
       A + B + C + D #= Sum,
       A * B * C * D #= Product * 1000000,

       A #< B,
       B #< C,
       C #< D,
       search(Prices ,0,largest,indomain_split,complete,[backtrack(Backtracks)]),

       % labeling(Prices),

       writeln(Prices),
       writeln(backtracks:Backtracks).

%%%%%%%%%