Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Java-embedding problem with v6.1 (dev build 85) on Win7 64

From: -dp- <david_at_...151...>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2011 11:29:44 +0800
On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 12:42 AM, Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...> wrote:

> On 16/09/2011 03:44, -dp- wrote:
>
>  The path in the error indicates that somewhere, "\lib\i386_nt\eclipse.exe"
>> is being appended to any path I provide:
>>

> I am guessing you are running 32 bit Java. Windows has this "feature" that
> when you run a 32 bit application (such as 32 bit Java), it silently maps
> everything to the 32 bit version -- paths, registry entries, etc. This
> allows you to write the same code and be able to run both 32 bit and 64 bit
> applications with it, but it makes it very hard to run a 64 bit application
> from within your 32 bit application. I think this is what is causing your
> problems.
>
> To get around this, you should use 64 bit Java (assuming this is your
> problem).
>
> [this actually might make it difficult to run an OutOfProcessEclipse of
> different word size from the Java Interface, not because you can't connect
> Java to an OutOfProcessEclipse of different word length, but because you
> can't easily launch an ECLiPSe of a different word length from within Java]

I've now switched to 64-bit versions of ECLiPSe6.1 (build 85), Java1.6, and
eclipseIDE (build ID 20110615-0604). I've verified that 6.1 works fine by
running a test in TkEclipse. I configured the IDE to use the right JVM
(Windows | Preferences | Java | Installed JREs ...and added path to 64-bit
JVM), and to use the right CLP (Run | Run Configurations | <run config
bundle> | Arguments | VM arguments = -Declipse.directory="C:\Program
Files\ECLiPSe 6.1\"). But I still get an error suggesting that the embedding
framework can't find the right JVM:

Exception in thread "clpThread" java.lang.RuntimeException: Unsupported
platform: Windows 7/amd64
at com.parctechnologies.eclipse.Platform.findPlatform(Platform.java:122)
at com.parctechnologies.eclipse.Platform.getInstance(Platform.java:44)
at
com.parctechnologies.eclipse.OutOfProcessEclipse.startLocalEclipse(OutOfProcessEclipse.java:198)
at
com.parctechnologies.eclipse.OutOfProcessEclipse.<init>(OutOfProcessEclipse.java:73)
at sg.ihpc.wayang.WorldToObserver.go(WorldToObserver.java:59)
at sg.ihpc.wayangTest.Main$1.run(Main.java:62)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

I tried appending a path to the 64-bit JVM to the eclipse.directory setting:

-Declipse.directory="C:\Program Files\ECLiPSe 6.1\" -vm C:/Program
Files/Java/jdk1.6.0_27/bin

but I get the same error. This seems related to Kish's final comment about
potential problems spawning an OutOfProcessEclipse, although I'm not trying
to get it to use 32-bit. I'd be happy to have it run in 64-bit.

David