Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Large integers and delayed goals

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 18:23:31 +0000
Hi Sergey (and others),

Several comments:

ic does not handle large integers, i.e. it does not use the bignum
representation of integers that ECLiPSe supports (implemented with GNU's
GMP).

I don't think any integer finite domain solver will handle a large
finite domain well, both because reasoning and propagating over large
domains is expensive (e.g. many constraints have a very heavy dependency
on the domain size(s) of its variabes (particularly if they are domain
consistent); and also labelling variables with large domain is expensive
(unless propagation is able to very significantly reduce the domain
size).  In the case of ic, where a finite domain is represented as a
bitmap (1 bit per domain value) as soon as a hole appears in the domain,
this is particularly inefficient if you have a large domain.

Sergrey, you used labeling/1 in the code you showed, but I assume you
must have given a finite integer interval to the variables, because you
get an error when you try to label IC variables that do not have a
finite integer range.

The running of the example with lib(fd) is not "correct" in the sense
that fd correctly handles large integers in the constraint, as fd
variables are given a default range (-10,000,000 to 10,000,000), and the
constraint limits the range of integer range for A,B,C,D accordingly,
and it is only these values that will be tried. If you try to give a
variable in a constraint a value that will result in a  value that is
outside this default range, the constraint will fail, e.g.:

:- lib(fd).

:- A*A #= B*B + C*C, A = 50000.

fails. [this is incorrect in the sense that with large enough range, the
above does have a solution]

Thorsten: I think gfd is much slower in this example because for the
constraint A*A*A*A + B*B*B*B +C*C*C*C #= D*D*D*D does not seem to take
into account the default interval given to the variable, and seem to be
reasoning assuming the variables have the full (32 bit) range  (it
assigns a domain of 1..46340 to the variables after posting of this
constraint, compared to 1..3162 for lib(fd)). [lib(gfd) does give a
default interval (currently -1,000,000..1,000,000) to variables whose
domain are not explicitly specified]