Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Retract/asserta in C++

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 16:20:39 +0100
Hi Christian,

On 23/04/2012 10:17, Christian Giffhorn wrote:
> I have problems, to edit my knowledge base from c++ side. The first
> addition with "asserta" still works, but it behave like an "assert"
> because even when the retract didn't work, it should use the newest
> entry from the "asserta" like when i use asserta in the eclipse tk.

There should be no difference in behaviour when a built-in like assert
or asserta is run from ECLiPSe directly (what you call eclipse tk), or
from C++. I suspect the difference is due to the way you are posting the
goals in C++, i.e. it does not correspond to what you are doing from
ECLiPSe.

I don't understand what you mean by 'even when retract didn't work, it
should use the newest entry from the asserta' -- what do you mean by
'retract didn't work', and what do you mean by 'use the newest entry'?
If by 'didn't work' you mean the assert failed (or aborted), then no
clause is retracted, so nothing is 'used' -- assuming by 'used' you mean
the clause is removed.

> eclipse:
> :- discontiguous(tool/3).
> :- dynamic tool/3.
>
> % rules set etc.
>
> C++:
> EC_word asserta(EC_word fact)
> {
> 	return term(EC_functor("asserta", 1), fact);
> }
>
> EC_word removefact(EC_word fact)
> {
> 	return term(EC_functor("retract", 1), fact);
> } // you should be concrte with your fact here, for the case that you
> only more then one target fitting this criteria, it will take the
> first

I don't understand the intention of these two functions -- they just
return an ECLiPSe term (assert(...) and retract(...)), without going to
ECLiPSe. From you following code, are you thinking these functions will
be executed when you call post_goal()? This is not what post_goal() does
-- it posts a goal to the ECLiPSe side, which would be executed when
control is passed to ECLiPSe (by calling ec_resume(), which you don't do
in the code you show).

Are you trying to define ECLiPSe clauses from C++? This is not what you
are doing, and I don't think it is a good idea to try to do this -- the
ECLiPSe C++ interface is not designed to be an API for you to program
ECLiPSe code from C++.

If you must define the code from C++, then you need to post a goal to
compile the clauses you want to compile (you can also assert the
clauses, but this is also not recommended). You also don't need to (and
should not) define asserta, as this is already a built-in.

> for (int i = 0; i<  3; i++)
> {
>     sprintf (randomv, "%i", rand() % 8 + 1);
>
>     post_goal(asserta(term(EC_functor("tool", 3), EC_atom("hammer"),
> EC_atom(randomv), EC_atom("s0"))));
>
>     post_goal(run(EC_atom("control"), EC_atom("s0"), p));
>
>     post_goal(removefact(term(EC_functor("tool", 3), EC_atom("hammer"),
> EC_atom(randomv), EC_atom("s0"))));
>
> }

What you seem to be doing here is posting the same 3 goals 3 times, and
this is equivalent to the following query in ECLiPSe:

asserta(...),
run(control(...)),
removefact(...),
asserta(...),
run(...),
removefact(...),
asserta(...),
run(...),
removefact(...)

asserta is a built-in, but run/1 and removefact/1 are not, and unless
they are defined in your ECLiPSe code, executing these goals will lead
to an abort on the ECLiPSe side, and the following goals will not be
executed.

And repeating what I said already, you need to call ec_resume() from C++
for the posted goals to be executed.

In addition, in some of your arguments, you use EC_atom(randomv) where
randomv is a string representation of an integer. What this does is
create an atom with a name that looks like an integer (e.g. '1' in
ECLiPSe syntax) but is not an integer (1 in ECLiPSe syntax), which I
assume is not what you want. Such an atom is not the same as the
corresponding integer, will not unify with it, and cannot be used as a
number (e.g. in expressions).

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.