Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Socket between C and ECLiPSe

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 20:00:36 +0100
Hi Sabri,

On 25/07/2012 11:57, sabri allaoui wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'am working on porting a program from UNIX to Windows. In Unix, the
> connection between C and ECLiPSe is done via Streams (FILE *).
> The problem is in Windows. For C : The sockets are no longer file
> descriptor and so cannot be linked to streams. But for ECLiPSe, it's still
> the case.

I think you need to give more details of how your program is connecting
between C and ECLiPSe, as I can't figure out exactly what you are doing.

For example, are you connecting from ECLiPSe to C at the ECLiPSe level,
or are you using ECLiPSe's C interface? Are you forming a socket
connection (using socket/3 at the ECLiPSe level, or the socket() system
call at the C level)?

If you are indeed using sockets, then I am not sure I understand what
you mean by connection is done "via Streams (FILE *)", because (FILE *)
is not what the C socket() supports --

The C socket() requires you to specify a domain, a type (which can be a
SOCK_STREAM -- is this what you mean by STREAM?), and a protocal
(normally left as 0). The socket() call returns a "file descriptor", but
this is of type int, not (FILE *).

At the ECLiPSe level, you can specify the domain and type in the
socket/3 call.

As I said, it is difficult to be sure what you exact problem is without
more information, but at a guess, I would say (if you are indeed using
sockets) that you are using domain and/or type that only works on Linux
and not Windows.

If you are calling socket/3 at the ECLiPSe level, there are limited
choices for  domain, and only the internet domain (PF_INET at the C
level) works for both Unix and Windows. Is this what you are using?

In summary, for portability, if you use sockets, you should set them up
with the internet domain (PF_INET), and probably as type stream
(SOCK_STREAM) -- ECLiPSe itself has  code that does this, and they work
on both Unix and Windows.

> The thing is when I try to receive two or more massages from ECLiPSe, only

> the first one is detected by C.
> So I am wondering is it a C problem or an ECLiPSe one?
>
> I am using send and recv functions in C after establishing the connection.
>
> Regards,
> Sabri

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.