Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Hunting for bottlenecks: Is factbase stored on-disk?

From: Edwin Wirawan <edcsgt_at_...32...>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 11:59:43 +0800
Hi Kish,

I am a colleague of David's and would like to post some follow-up questions. We would appreciate your help with the following 3 questions..

1) Kish Shen wrote:
> ECLiPSe performs indexing on one argument during the matching of your goal
> against clauses in your program. That is, in addition to the clause name,
> one of the argument is used to filter out clauses that will not match.

Do you mean that for both static and dynamic facts, the index is comprised of the functor and the first parameter (but only if bound)?

2) What does compilation do with static facts that allows them to be accessed faster than dynamically-allocated ones or ones kept in a store?

3) We are in the midst of profiling, but we believe the biggest time cost is in
a predicate that checks every instance of a fact (which are dynamically
allocated) to determine all potential matches, and must not stop at the first
match. We considered using hashed storage, but because of this exhaustive
looping, we don't see any advantage to it in this case. Can you recommend a
retrieval strategy?

Thanks for your help,
Edwin