Re: [eclipse-clp-users] ECLiPSe on Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8)

From: Paulo Moura <pmoura_at_...342...>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2012 18:48:57 +0100
On 07/10/2012, at 06:00, Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...> wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> The ECLiPSe Mac OS X x86 binaries from SourceForge are built on Mac OS 10.6.

The binaries at SF are outdated. There's also no binaries for 6.1.

> The single error message you have given is not enough to show what might
> be going wrong. In particular, I am not sure if the problem is caused by
> compiling on 10.8. I can't really tell where exactly the error message
> is from, and what exactly configure did. Is there a libeclipse.dylib (it
> should be in Kernel/x86_64_macosx directory)? If not, there should have
> been some earlier error when the building of libeclipse.dylib  failed.

I get the same error trying to build 6.1#125. There's no "libeclipse.dylib" but a "libeclipse.a" is built.

> You don't seem to have set ECLiPSETHIRDPARTY environment variable for
> your build, and this probably means that few third-party components will
> be used for your build (configure should report what it was able to
> find). For ECLiPSe 6.0 onwards, we strongly recommend that you build
> ECLiPSe with at least bignum support, i.e. with GNU GMP (or GMP
> compatible lib -- for x86 Macs I use MPIR instead of GMP), because
> without bignums, the new ECLiPSe compiler can only compile clauses with
> limited number of variables, and some of ECLiPSe's own files cannot be
> compiled). However, I don't think this is the direct cause of your
> error, as your error seem to be happening earlier than this.

What the point of setting ECLIPSETHIRDPARTY (not ECLiPSETHIRDPARTY) when it doesn't work with the sensible value that's the prefix where users have stuff like GMP or GraphViz installed? Do ECLiPSe developers really expect users to reinstall third-party software in non-standard locations just to compile ECLiPSe? Specially when virtually all other Prolog compilers can be compiled and installed painlessly on POSIX systems by typing "./configure && make && make install"?

Why is such a BIG PAIN IN THE ASS to compile ECLiPSe on POSIX systems? Guess what users that need a Prolog compiler but not ECLiPSe specific libraries end up doing... This is not a recent problem and it's a shame given all nice ECLiPSe performance and features. Time to fix it (including getting "./configure --prefix" working properly).

Sorry for the rant but this problem have been going forever with not fix in sight.

Cheers,

Paulo