Re: [eclipse-clp-users] ECLiPSe 6.0#197 with COIN on OS X 10.8

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 19:55:18 +0100
Hello David,

On 22/10/2012 14:26, David Dreisigmeyer wrote:
> I've managed to get ECLiPSe to compile on OS X 10.8.  I have coin 1.3.1
> from here:
>
> http://www.coin-or.org/download/binary/CoinAll/
>
> installed in thirdparty/coin1.3/x86_64_macosx.  It seems to be detected
> fine when I run:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/some/prefix --with-osi=1.3

If you want to compile ECLiPSe with COIN solvers, you should read the
SetUpGuide, as that goes into some detail about how to do this.

The other problem is that --prefix is not fully supported by the
configure of ECLiPSe. '--prefix' is normally used to specify where the
binaries should go, and for ECLiPSe, this should be done via the RUNME
script after you have compiled ECLiPSe.

About your specific problem: you did not specify a correct solver in
'--with-osi' option. OSI is an (C++) interface to various MP solvers,
the aim is to provide a common (C++) API to different solvers, so it is
not a solver itself. So the 'version' of with-osi is actually the
solver(s) you want to use, and not the COIN version number.

(You can check this with configure --help, both the usage of --prefix
and --with-osi is described there)

The eplex library (the ECLiPSe interface to MP solvers) can be compiled
'out of the box' with several solvers using OSI, but the one I would
recommend is for CLP/CBC solvers, as these solvers seem to give the best
overall performance (for the free solvers), and there is a significant
amount of code in eplex specific to these solvers. You should put the
CLP/CBC solver binaries (not the binaries for the whole of COIN) into

thirdparty/coinclpcbc/x86_64_macosx

You don't need to specify '--with-osi' explicitly in configure, as this
is the default, but if you want to do so, it should be
'--with-osi=clpcbc'

In fact you don't even need to download CLP/CBC yourself, as there are
Makefile rules to build the CLP/CBC solvers. To use these,

First, configure ECLiPSe as usual

(and if you don't already have the CLP/CBC solvers, the configure script
will not find them, this is fine)

Next, go into the icparc_solvers directory (if you are using ECLiPSe
6.0), and issue the following Make command:

make -f Makefile.x86_64_macosx install_cbc

this will download and build CLP/CBC for you (you need to have svn on
your machine as this is used to do the download).

after this, you can configure (at the top-level) again, and this time
the CBC/CLP solvers should be detected, and will be built when you do
make from the top-level.

(just one note of caution: I have not used OS X 10.8, so I can't be sure
if CBC/CLP will compile out-of-the-box. I know it does compile on 10.6)