Re: [eclipse-clp-users] ec_external definition not included if EC_EMBED is defined.

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 17:51:47 +0000
Hi Oreste,

As I think Joachim may still be on holiday, I will try and give you some
answer to your question...

Yes, it does look like if you include eclipse.h, this defines EC_EMBED,
and so ec_external() would not be available for use.

It is not clear to me that the error is therefore ec_external() should
be moved out of the EC_EMBED ifdef, because I am not sure if
ec_external() was deliberately excluded (or removed, after the manual
was written) from the C/C++ interface, and the error (in this case)
would be mentioning it in the embedding and interface manual.

The usual way of linking predicates defined in C/C++ is to do it in the
ECLiPSe code via external/2, after the creation of the module for the
ECLiPSe code, but before the use of the external predicate. Using
ec_external() is given as an alternative to doing this in C rather than
ECLiPSe, but it is not clear to me how useful this is, because the
intended usage of the C interface is for ECLiPSe code to be in its own
file, rather than as part of the C program file, so using external/2
seems the most natural way to include external predicates.

Do you have a use case for using ec_external(), where you think it would
be useful?