Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Symmetry breaking for N-Queens

From: Sergii Dymchenko <kit1980_at_...6...>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 23:55:10 -0700
Thanks for suggestions,

About gfd. As Kish pointed to, changing cloning_distance made a world of
difference regarding memory usage. I tried changing it from default 2 to
100 and 1000 and was able to solve queens up to 10 thousand. For example, N
= 4000 with cloning_distance = 100 take less than 2 minutes on my laptop,
but unfortunately it scales badly after 10000 or so.

Strangely, doing search inside Gecode (with gfd:search(Qs, 0,
most_constrained, indomain_median, complete, []) ) eats memory very fast
compared to gfd_search:search(Qs, 0, most_constrained, indomain_median,
complete, []) with large cloning_distance. I plan to do the same program in
Gecode C++ directly and look at the speed and memory consumption.

Also I've implemented simulated annealing using 'tentative' and
'tentative_constraints' libraries pointed to by Joachim (I didn't really
look at 'repair' library because 'tentative' "is intended as a successor
for library(repair)."). After some tweaking N = 4000 took 1m15s on my
laptop, and N = 33000 took about 2.5 hours (which is acceptable) with very
little memory consumption.

I reimplemented the same simulated annealing algorithm in C++ from scratch
and got about 8 seconds for N = 4000 and about 12 minutes for N = 33000.

Sergii.