Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Symmetry breaking for N-Queens

From: Sergii Dymchenko <kit1980_at_...6...>
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2013 10:08:23 -0700
Hi Thorsten,

I used "diagonal" initialization: first queen on position 1, second on
position 2 and so on. After that I used queen swap as local moves, that way
the first of alldifferent constraints can be removed.

I don't want to do complex initialization that gives almost a valid
placement because N-Queens is not really NP-hard and you can construct
explicit solutions very fast (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-queens#Explicit_solutions ). Doing complex
initialization is like partially constructing explicit solution, and this
doesn't help to learn how techniques and algorithms work in general.

Sergii.