Re: [eclipse-clp-users] REPL

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 01:30:20 +0100
On 10/08/2013 01:11, Volkan Unsal wrote:
> Unit testing is less of a problem for me than just running the commands. As
> I write the program, I need to run it against real data. I've been using
> the commandline to do that, but lack of readlines, history, etc. have made
> it really hard.

I am not sure I understand why you are not using tkeclipse. For
interactive use, we very strongly recommend people use tkeclipse instead
of the tty eclipse. It provides a GUI toplevel with the history and
editing for commands that you seem to want, and in addition a set of
graphical development tools that will make program development much
easier to do. This is independent of what editor you use for writing
your program.

Tkeclipse also has a "make" button, which can be used to recompile any
files that have been changed since they were last compiled, so you can
make changes to your program files, and press "Make" to recompile these
changes, without having to specify which files to recompile. Again, this
is independent of the editor you use to edit your program.

As for editors, there are support for a few other editors than emacs
(vi, Kate), and these are available from the link I provided previously,
although except for emacs, the support is mostly syntax colouring.

Using a modern version of emacs should not be very difficult, certainly
no more difficult than using whatever editor some IDE would provide.
With the GUI and menus, you don't need to remember the key combinations
for the command, and basic editing can be done with the normal keys.