Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Time out issue with long integer

From: Edgaonkar, Shrirang <Shrirang.Edgaonkar_at_...390...>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2014 03:51:37 +0000
Dear Joachim,

  It would be great if the problem would be fixed. I read your email and understood. The large domain is due to the LONG range used in java as I am mapping it with variables in java.
In few cases, I could be in a situation where the no of constraints are very less. The above bug fix will also help me in my approach for real numbers. Please see below.

  On a separate note, please look at the following example. I read your posts on real numbers and understand the limitation to solve equations if the a finite solution is non existant.

To counter the same, I have come up with the following solution. Express a real number A as A1/A2(i.e fraction) where A1 and A2 are integers. for e.g. if your solution for A is say 4.5 you get A1 as 45 and A2 as 10. This approach solves most of the complex equations which otherwise give me a bounded real if locate is used. But it has a following limitation. I cannot use precision. Precision in my case is again different.

If a > 3.5, I need the solution as 3.6 or 3.51 which is the boundary value for me.

In the following problem I need the value of A1/A2 as 2.51 or 2.6 depending on the precision set.

Problem:-
:-lib(ic).
solve(A1, A2) :-
%%Domain
A1 :: -2147483648 .. 2147483647,
A2 :: -2147483648 .. 2147483647,

%%Constraints
(A1/A2) + 1  $> (3.5),
search([A1, A2],0,input_order,indomain_min,complete,[]).

Output:-
A1 = -2147483648
A2 = -858993459
There are 2 delayed goals.
Yes (0.00s cpu, solution 1, maybe more)
-------
So A1/A2 is 2.5000000005820766092701993438579

Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks and Regards,
Shrirang Edgaonkar