Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Question regarding null variable

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 10:27:18 +0000
Hi Yogesh,

On 15/12/2014 08:32, Choughule, Yogesh wrote:
> Hi Kish
>
> I will explain null in Java context because i am trying to solve java code using ECLiPSe.
> for e.g.
> Integer x = null;
> In Java, null means variable x does not refer to any value in memory.

Prolog variables are quite different conceptually from variables in
conventional programming languages. As Matthew said, Prolog variables
are like variables in mathematics, in that they represent (as yet)
unknown values when they are not instantiated. So conceptually, a
variable is not a memory location to which you can assign values. This
'variable as memory location' is made explicit in Java's null, and does
not make sense in Prolog.

I am not sure what you mean by 'solve java code using ECLiPSe', but it
does not look trivial and will probably involve a significant amount of
programming in ECLiPSe, so again I suggest you should learn
Prolog/ECLiPSe first.