Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Order of constraints

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 19:33:06 +0000
On 27/02/2015 04:48, Edgaonkar, Shrirang wrote:

> My problem is I cannot control the sequence in which constrants appear in my script as it is autogenerated. Is there any other way to handle this.

There is a more general issue here: ECLiPSe is not designed as a
constraint library with an API that you submit autogenerated API calls
to solve your problem. Doing so has many problems: getting the syntax
and semantics of your program correct (getting syntax correct with the
right quotes will be particularly tricky if you are generating the code
using anothe programming language), understanding what the program
actually does (autogenerated program is normally very difficult to
read), debugging such a program if a problem arises....

ECLiPSe is a programming language, and you should write and develop your
programs in it. If you are auto-generating ECLiPSe programming code
because you are reading data using another programming language, then
instead of generating the code, you should send this data to an ECLiPSe
program, which can then generate the constraints required from the data.
In this case, you only 'generate' (in ECLiPSe itself) the parts that
will change because of the actual data, rather than the whole program. A
simple illustration of this approach is the example to solve Sudoku
problems:

http://eclipseclp.org/examples/sudoku.ecl.txt

This is different from the 'generated' approach, where I assume you
would generate the specific alldifferent constraints for your specific
problem (plus the rest of the program). I think it is much more
difficult to understand what such a program is actually trying to do,
and to spot any problems in it.

(This simple example has the problem data as part of the program, but
this data can be supplied from other sources, such as a program written
in another programming language where you embed your ECLiPSe, or they
can be written to a file that your ECLiPSe program reads)