Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Installing ECLiPSe on MacOS X

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 02:02:33 +0100
The latest binaries for Mac OS X is 6.1#194, which I think you
downloaded last October. I am not aware of any major changes to
6.1 since then, and have thus not updated the release at Source Forge.

As for how hard it is to build ECLiPSe on Mac OS X, I think this depends
on the version of Mac OS X you have (or more precisely, the version of
Apple's developer tools -- Xcode). ECLiPSe is designed to be built using
GNU's tool chain (gcc, make and friends) from a (bash) shell. Xcode used
to provide this tool chain, but more recent versions of Xcode no longer
do so by default.

More recent versions of Xcode does not support building code from a
shell by default, but apparently you can select 'command line tools'
when you install Xcode to allow this. In addition, Apple replaced gcc
(GNU's C/C++ compiler) with their own C/C++ compiler, and ECLiPSe
requires gcc as it uses a gcc-specific feature for an important
optimisation. I don't know if installing command line tools also install
gcc. If not, you will also need to install gcc.

With the GNU tool chain in place, it should be relatively easy to
compile ECLiPSe. The file <eclipsedir>/INSTALL in the source gives a
summary of how to build ECLiPSe, and more detailed information is
availbale in <eclipsedir>/document/internal/SetupGuide.doc.