Re: [eclipse-clp-users] [SWI-Prolog/swipl-devel] user-data-type-attvars (#189)

From: Kish Shen <kish.shen_at_...6...>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2017 21:39:58 +0000
Hi Douglas,

I assume you are posting this question about ECLiPSe, rather than
SWI-Prolog, as your title seem to suggest.

To unify V1=V2

>   Could V1 and V2 still be different variables?

No. Once you unify 2 terms, they become the same, i.e. V1 and V2 represent
the same variable after unification, and there is only one attribute for
the variable. This is a fundamental property of unification in Prolog.

>  get a wakeup to decide the my_string_words were a okay to unify

User defined unification handlers (one per attribute)  is invoked when a
attributed variables are unifiied. The handler should define the
unification behaviour for the attribute, for example, how to merge the two
original attributes into the single attribute after unification.

There is a chapter on attributed variables in the user manual:

http://eclipseclp.org/doc/userman/umsroot093.html

which I strongly recommend you to consult if you haven't done so.

On a more general point:

>I would like believe that I can use attvars/metaterms to proxy for complex
datatypes.

This is not what attributed variables are designed for. I think you should
use normal Prolog (variables and data structures) to implement your string
type, rather than trying to push them into an attribute.