Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Loading an .asm file

From: Joachim Schimpf <jschimpf_at_...311...>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2018 11:20:11 +0000
On 02/02/18 14:39, Paulo Moura wrote:
> Hi,
>
> First of all, congratulations on the release of ECLiPSe 7.0!
>
> I wrote a Bash shell script that generates a logtalk.asm file with the Logtalk compiler and runtime:
>
> https://github.com/LogtalkDotOrg/logtalk3/tree/master/scripts/embedding/eclipse
>
> ECliPSe documentation state that .asm files can be loaded by ECLiPSe but any attempts result in loading errors. What's the correct way of loading an .asm file?

An .asm file can be loaded using any of ensure_loaded/1, compile/1,2
or [file].  Or you can load it using the -f option when starting eclipse.

The only potential problem I can see in your setup is that maybe
you are creating the .asm file with ISO-Syntax enabled, but trying
to load it without?  This could result in quoting issues.

Apart from that, if your intention is to pre-compile your application
to speed up loading, you should use .eco format rather than .asm.
This stores the result after the assembler has been run, and loads
even more quickly.  There should be no drawbacks compared to .asm.

To create an .eco file, use compile(my_file, [output:eco]).
This too can be loaded using any of the alternatives above.

> Thanks,
> Paulo
>
> P.S. Any ETA for ECLiPSe 7.0 macOS binaries?

As soon as a macOS user takes an interest in creating them, I suppose!

Cheers,
Joachim