Re: [eclipse-users] Predicate declarations in Eclipse

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:28:48 +0100
Hi,

I believe you are trying to not use the compatibility libraries to do
this now, but it may still be useful to look at how the compatibility
module does things, and to look at the manual chapters on modules for
both SICStus and ECLiPSe, and understand how the two are different, and
so how you can change things from one to the other...

Siddharth Angrish wrote:
> Hi
>
>         I am trying to port a big prolog code (FSA6) to ECLiPse. The
> code is compatible
> with swi/sicstus/yap(SSY) prologs. I have a few queries regarding
> predicate delarations:
>
> 1) SSY support the keyword, multifile. Does EClipSe use "dynamic" for
> the purpose?

dynamic does give you what multifile does, i.e. you can define clauses
for the same predicate in different files...
> 2) Does "dynamic" also serve the purpose of the keyword
> "discontiguous" which is there
> in all SSY
>
> 3)  SSY support the following declaration:
>       multifile user:help_info/4.
>    which I think says that-> To the predicate help_info/4,  "defined"
> in module "user",
>   new clauses can be added in the current file.
>
> I modified it to: (only in the first file)
>     dynamic user:help_info/4
>
>             However, this module does not exist anywhere in the code I
> am porting.
> I suppose it is created on the fly in SSY, a feature which ECLIPSE
> does NOT support.

This is not quite correct -- you can create modules `on the fly' (i.e.
during execution of code at runtime) with ECLiPSe, but you must do it
explicitly. The difference is that on Prologs such as SWI Prolog, when
you refer to an a new module, it is created implicitly.