Re: [eclipse-clp-users] product configuration problems

From: Wit Jakuczun <wit.jakuczun_at_...6...>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 13:52:36 +0200
2008/6/5 Tobias Tischler <tischler_at_...120...>:
>> Have you read the article I had given a link to? The authors
>> have considered a similar problem to yours.
>
> I have read it. But there are a few open points in it:
> - They have coded their program in Choco which is a java library. But my GUI
> has to use Tcl/Tk, so I'd like to use a language with an appropriate
> interface.
Choco is an implementation of CLP system.

> - The described study-problem delivers one solution only. But there is
> nothing mentioned about how to get them all.
You get all solutions in the same way as in Prolog. Using findall for
example.

> And finally I can't see a big difference between the Choco-program and
> working with pure Prolog. They instantiate their variables and then they
> write the constraints. Well, I think it's pretty much the same as in my
> main-method.

CLP has nothing to do with Prolog although Prolog is a natural
environment for CLP implementation.

CLP variable has a domain (in you situation we can talk about finite
domain). CLP variables can be connected via constraints. Constraint
is valid if variables fulfill some conditions. For example two
variables can not have the same value. In CLP system if
anything happens with a variable, the information about
changes is propagated through constraints to other variables.

In Prolog, everything is passive. There is nothing like
constraint in Prolog and variables are, as I said before,
just a simple placeholders for terms.

Hope that helps.

Best regards
--
[ Wit Jakuczun w.jakuczun_at_...116... ]
[ WLOG Solutions http://wlogsolutions.com ]