Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Version 6.0 cannot compile large files

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 20:27:58 +0100
Ercan Ucan wrote:
> Hi all,
> Eclipse CLP version 6.0 cannot compile a file that I have(which is about
> 12MB).
> It does not give any error messages or warnings at tall.
> And tkeclipse(6.0) can compile only a quarter of this file in about 15
> seconds.
>
> However, with version 5.10, there is no problems at all. It compiles the
> whole file in a very short time(around 1 second).
>
> Has anybody else experienced this problem as well?
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> -Ercan
Hi Ercan,

12MB is not very large, so your problem is not due to the size of the
file. The problem is most likely due to some predicate in your program
that is causing the problem. What happens exactly, does ECLiPSe crash or
do you get a silent exit from ECLiPSe?

Did you try using TkECLiPSe only? If so, perhaps you could try with the
command line ECLiPSe as well, because when TkECLiPSe crashes, the window
often disappears, and so any error messages will not be seen. Also,
Linux (and other Unix) can give more information than Windows in some
situations.

Do you have this problem on all platforms, or were you using a specific
platform?

The compilation time difference between the new and old compiler may not
be too significant -- the new compiler is slower than the old one (it is
written in ECLiPSe rather than C, and is written to allow easier
maintenance and extension, which we can't do with the old compiler),
although the difference does seem a little larger than usual in your case.

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.