Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Debugging and Development

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 23:46:01 +0000
Christian Wirth wrote:
> I'm currently using a text editor and the eclipse tracer/inspector for
> debugging .. but i find this very annoying, because i'm missing several
> features that i'm used to have from other development platforms (..like
> Eclipse for Java).
>
> At first, i want to know if there is a special Prolog development editor
> ? found one for Eclipse but that does not support EclipseCLP. I only
> want some simple features like auto completation, syntax highlighting,
> call hierarchy, syntax checking ...
> What is everyone else using ?

I guess you are used to using an IDE for development program. As you
say, TkECLiPSe does not provide an integrated editor, instead, you can
use your own editor (this is a different development model -- in that
you learn to use a particular editor, which you can then use to edit
different programming language and other things). However, you can
download various support packages for some popular (for Un*x, anyway)
editors, that provide things like syntax highlighting etc. The one that
probably provides most features is the support for the emacs editor,
which provides quite a bit more than syntax highlighting [this is what I
use]. You can download these support packages from ECLiPSe's
source-forge download site:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/eclipse-clp/files/

You mention the Eclipse IDE for Java. There is an ECLiPSe plugin
for Eclipse -- Saros. You can also find this at the source-forge
download site. It provides the same set of tools as TkECLiPSe, and you
use the Eclipse editor to do your editing, but as far as I know, there
is not really much ECLiPSe specific enhancements for the editor.

> Additional better debug capabilitys would be very handy ... but i assume
> there is no other debugger ? But i hope there is a solution to a debug
> problem i have very often:
> When i get a "real" error, not something like predicate not found (a.E
> instantiation fault in call(_8087) ), i want to know where and when ..
> how to ?

The most common type of bugs that people run into is the program behave
differently from what they expect, e.g. it gives the wrong answer (or
simply fails). However, from what you are saying, the errors you are
having are when ECLiPSe aborts with an error message, and these error
messages don't give you information on where in your source the error
is. The reason is that the system actually doesn't have the information
when the error is handled.

You can use the 'analyze failure' feature of the TkTracer to pin-point
the error. When you are running your program with the tracer, and an
error occurs, the tracer will stop at a 'LEAVE' port (if you were
leaping when the error occur, the LEAVE port will be at the last
predicate that had a spy-poiny on it). You can select 'analyze failure'
(from the Options menu), which will give the invocation number for the
last failure (or abort, in this case), which should be your error.

You can now rerun your program, and jumping to this invocation number
should take you to where the error is handled. The code that actually
caused the error occur a bit earlier, so you should jump to a slightly
earlier (i.e. smaller) invocation number, this should take you to code
just before the error.