Re: [eclipse-clp-users] Computational complexity

From: Marco Gavanelli <marco.gavanelli_at_...17...>
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 17:51:41 +0200
On 30/09/11 14:49, Sergey Dymchenko wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Any hints how to estimate computational complexity (like Big-O
> notation) of CLP programs? I mean there is no visible cycles, not
> clear how pruning reduces complexity (does it really reduce in
> asymptotic sense?) etc...

Hi,

I think it is not clear what you mean exactly.

CLP itself is a superset of Prolog, which is Turing complete, so you can
write programs of any complexity: it depends on the program you write.

However, CLP is often used to solve CSP problems. CSPs are NP-complete
problems, so there is no known algorithm less than exponential, so every
program (including a CLP program) that solves is (nowadays) is exponential.

If you have a CSP with N variables ranging on domains of size D, then
the search space has size D^N. However, if, thanks to constraint
propagation, you are able to halve the domains, the search space becomes
D^N/2^N, so you got an exponential speedup. But depending on the
problem, you could have no propagation at all, so it really depends on
the problem you are considering.

Cheers,
Marco

--
Marco Gavanelli, Ph.D. in Computer Science
Dept of Engineering