Re: [eclipse-clp-users] ECLiPSe on Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8)

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2012 18:21:46 +0100
On 07/10/2012 19:24, mskala_at_...206... wrote:

> I think the bigger problem than not accepting a "standard" location is
> that ECLiPSe expects everything to be installed in the *same* location
> (standard or not).  When I needed to recompile ECLiPSe with third-party
> library support, I was doing so at a university where all the third-party
> packages had been installed by our IT department, not in /usr/local and
> not all in one place.  Especially given that some of them were expensive
> commercial packages, I didn't have the opportunity to reinstall them or to
> change where they were installed.  Being able to tell ECLiPSe "use
> /usr/local", or any single "standard" place, wouldn't have helped.
> What's really needed is what everybody else does - have a separate
> configuration setting for each third-party package.

I agree that the configure in ECLiPSe probably should provide a setting
for each third-party package (actually probably two or more settings for
some packages, as some packages have unusual arrangements for their
libraries and include files). However, using symbolic links from the
third party directory as you can do now is effectively doing the same
thing, and I think this is a better solution, as you only need to do
this once instead of every time you run configure (e.g. for different
versions of ECLiPSe, and for different platforms sharing the same file
system).