Re: [eclipse-clp-users] On stating a strange constraint

From: Kish Shen <kish.shen_at_...6...>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2023 14:08:12 +0000
Hi Panaglotis,

>there are cases where a lif(gfd) based CP program is quite
>slower than the equivalent one based on the native ECLiPSe constraint
>libraries.

Do you see any pattern to what problems are slower in lib(gfd)? I
would like to study such programs to see if this is a property of
Gecode, or the gfd implementation.

I expect that most global constraints will be faster in Gecode, not
only because they are implemented at a C/C++ level, but also because
many of them are probably based on better algorithms. Additionally,
Gecode provides more global constraints than the native solvers.

When you use lib(gfd), do you do the search in ECLiPSe, or in Gecode?
To do the search in Gecode, you need to use gfd:search/5:

http://eclipseclp.org/doc/bips/lib/gfd/search-6.html

I expect doing search in Gecode is faster, because you do not keep
switching between ECLiPSe and Gecode, but is less flexible. I would be
interested if you have found cases where doing the search in EC:iPSe
is faster.

We have not had much feedback on lib(gfd), and welcome any feedback on
it (and of course for any other parts of ECLiPSe) from our users.