Re: [eclipse-clp-users] On stating a strange constraint

From: Panagiotis Stamatopoulos <takis_at_...90...>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2023 07:53:40 +0300
Hi Kish,

On 28-Mar-23 5:08 PM, Kish Shen wrote:
> Hi Panaglotis,
>
> Do you see any pattern to what problems are slower in lib(gfd)? I
> would like to study such programs to see if this is a property of
> Gecode, or the gfd implementation.

I cannot recall at the moment any specific pattern.

> I expect that most global constraints will be faster in Gecode, not
> only because they are implemented at a C/C++ level, but also because
> many of them are probably based on better algorithms. Additionally,
> Gecode provides more global constraints than the native solvers.
>
> When you use lib(gfd), do you do the search in ECLiPSe, or in Gecode?
> To do the search in Gecode, you need to use gfd:search/5:
>
> http://eclipseclp.org/doc/bips/lib/gfd/search-6.html

I do the search with gfd_search:search/6. But I see now in the manual
that this might not be the best approach. What is more is that I also
use bb_min/3 or bb_min/6 from branch_and_bound, which, I realize, might
be replaced by the branch-and-bound feature of gfd:search/6.

> I expect doing search in Gecode is faster, because you do not keep
> switching between ECLiPSe and Gecode, but is less flexible. I would be
> interested if you have found cases where doing the search in EC:iPSe
> is faster.
>
> We have not had much feedback on lib(gfd), and welcome any feedback on
> it (and of course for any other parts of ECLiPSe) from our users.

In conclusion, I think that I have to read the manual more carefully.
After that, I might come back with something more definite.

Regards,
Panagiotis