Re: [eclipse-clp-users] ECLiPSe on mobile devices (smartphone, PDA)?

From: Kish Shen <kisshen_at_...5...>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 16:01:42 +0100
Ulrich Scholz wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> as part of our project MUSIC (http://www.ist-music.eu) we ran into a problem
> that might be solved by a constraint solver.  Because I have good
> experiences with ECLiPSE, I wonder if we can use it.
>
> MUSIC develops a middleware for mobile devices (smartphones, PDA) in Java.
> ECLiPSe would be called via its Java interface.
>
> Does anyone have experience with running ECLiPSe on mobile / small devices?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ulrich

If the device runs with one of the supported platforms, then ECLiPSe
should run on it. Otherwise you may need to port ECLiPSe to the platform.

Some years ago at IC-Parc, one of the ECLiPSe team member ported ECLiPSe
to run on his PDA. I can't remember the details now, but I don't think
it was one of the supported platforms for ECLiPSe, and was probably some
form of Linux running on an ARM or something like that. I remember he
even had TkECLiPSe running on the PDA.

There are some (short) hints for porting ECLiPSe in the Setup guide,
which is distributed with ECLiPSe, and if you have the source, it is in
<ECLiPSe>/documents/internal/SetupGuide.doc. It is a MS Word document.
The latest version of this document is in the main branch (6.0) of
ECLiPSe, so you may want to download the source (eclipse_src.tgz) from

http://87.230.22.228/Distribution/Dev/<version>/src

although I would recommend that you try porting 5.10 instead of 6.0
because it is more stable.

Cardiff, South Glamorgan CF10 5BT.